Meet the Team
The Police and Crime Commissioner's role is a busy one, but she is supported by an Executive Team who help to shape the delivery of the policing agenda across the county and help action key executive decisions on a daily basis, and a team of Administrative staff. Together they make up the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC).
Mark Cooper - Chief Executive
The Chief Executive is responsible for managing the executive staff as well as providing a monitoring and compliance role. The post holder is responsible for:
- Working with the Police and Crime Commissioner to enable delivery against vision, strategy and identified priorities.
- Ensuring effective operational and strategic leadership of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner through on-going management, business planning and governance.
- Facilitating the accurate and appropriate scrutiny of the Police Force's activities.
- The post holder will have overall responsibility for the strategic direction, planning and management of the Commissioner’s Office in accordance with professional standards and the legislative and fiduciary responsibilities of the statutory office.
- The post holder will operate within the APACE Statement on the Role of the Chief Executive and Monitoring Officer of the Police and Crime Commissioner.
- The post holder will oversee the Independent Custody Visitors and Dog Welfare Scheme for Bedfordshire.
Julie Maddocks - Head of Public Information (post shared with Bedfordshire Police Force)
Julie works closely with the Police and Crime Commissioner to:
- Oversee, develop and deliver proactive and reactive communications.
- To guide, support and recommend the most appropriate methods of communication on behalf of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner.
- Lead and manage a communications strategy which will help deliver the Commissioner’s strategic objectives.
- Work with colleagues in the OPCC and Bedfordshire Police Force to represent the Commissioner in all internal and external communications.
- Advise, manage and lead the communications team on behalf of the Commissioner and Bedfordshire Police Force.
Clare Kelly - Head of Strategic Liaison (post shared with Bedfordshire Police Force)
Clare has responsibility on behalf of the OPCC for Culture and Ethics, Equality and Inclusion, Programme Acuity and advises the Chief Executive and Police and Crime Commissioner on change across the Force and Collaboration.
Phil Wells - Chief Finance Officer (post shared with Bedfordshire Police Force)
Phil advises the Commissioner on financial matters and the impact of any budget. The post holder is responsible for:
Chief Finance Office:
- Professional leadership and management of financial arrangements as the Commissioner's statutory financial officer, incorporating all financial aspects of corporate governance.
- Leading on the financial and contractual arrangements for commissioned services and the financial management of contracts/funding and grant agreements on behalf of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Bedfordshire.
- Working with colleagues, Bedfordshire Police Force and other partners to develop and implement strategy and to resource and deliver the Commissioner's strategic objectives sustainably and in the public interest.
Chief Finance Office: